Healthy, chocolate, homemade brownies that are both vegan, gluten free and tasty? Oh yes I did and they are fantastic. It’s got Avocados, chia seeds, oat flour and chocolate! The recipe below is adapted from Katharine Hepburn’s Brownies from the August 1975 issue of The Ladies’ Home Journal, using gluten free and vegan baking hacks.
Vegan, Gluten Free, Brownies
MAKES 9 BROWNIES
½ cup of Avocado, Ripe, mashed (replaces the butter)
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (cocoa powder works fine)
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. Chia Seeds, 6 Tbsp water (replaces the egg)
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup of chocolate chips (or 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts)
¼ cup gluten free oat flour
¼ tsp. fine salt
- Heat oven to 325°. Grease an 8″ x 8″ baking pan. Line the pan with parchment paper; grease the paper. Set the pan aside.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of chia seeds with 6 tablespoons of water. Set aside and let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes until it has a sort of thick and gooey texture.
- Heat the mashed Avocado and the chocolate together in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the sugar.
- Add vanilla to the now thick chia seeds/water mixture. Then add this to the saucepan and stir to make a smooth batter.
- Add the walnuts or chocolate, flour, and salt; stir until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out fairly clean, 40–50 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack. Cut and serve.